33.2 - Physical Therapist Management of Individuals Who Cycle, Surf, and Rock Climb
This course provides comprehensive information on the biomechanical and performance requirements for individuals participating in three very different but increasingly popular sports—cycling, surfing, and rock climbing. This includes a comprehensive section on bike fitting in the cycling monograph. Each monograph also describes the most common injuries occurring in each sport, including a specific section in the rock-climbing monograph on hand and finger injuries. This is followed by the specific evaluation techniques and rehabilitation approaches most pertinent to each sport, including the paddling, “pop-up,” and riding-the-wave maneuvers required for surfing. Several figures demonstrating evaluation and treatment techniques supplement each monograph. Finally, at the end of each monograph, patient scenarios are presented to provide examples of the uniqueness of physical therapy care as it relates to cycling, surfing, and rock climbing.
Course Format: Online with an option to purchase the print version
Contact Hours: 15 contact hours
State Approval: AOPT courses are accepted in all states plus the District of Columbia, as allowed by the type of course requirements in state regulations. A small number of states require APTA to seek pre-approval of courses. The approval codes for these states can be found here. Always check with your State Licensing Board to confirm contact hours offered.View Full State Approval Information
Click here for a free preview of this course.
Test Your Knowledge
Click here to access this quiz.
|Online Only||Online + Hard Copy|
Due to the automation of our learning management system allowing you instant access to the online content and the immediate order placement for a plus print product, there are no refunds after an order is placed.
International Shipping Policy
International shipping is NOT available when purchasing a plus print copy of our independent study courses. The online copy allows you instant access to any course with the ability to print a pdf copy. Note: APO and FPO addresses are serviced by the USPS and the Military Postal Service Agency and are available for plus print shipping.
- Understand the prevalence, nature, and associated factors related to cycling, surfing, and rock-climbing injuries.
- Understand and use the correct terminology to describe the unique equipment, techniques, and physical requirements associated with each sport.
- Identify the most common pathoanatomical diagnoses encountered in each sport.
- Implement physical therapy assessment techniques specifically relevant to the cycling, surfing, and rock-climbing population.
- Design and implement an individualized evidence-informed plan of care for common injuries associated with each sport.
- Develop a post-injury return-to-sport program for individuals who cycle, surf, and rock climb.
Topics and Authors
- Evaluation and Management of Common Cycling Injuries
Stacey Brickson, PhD, PT, ATC, CSCS; Chrisotpher Carcia, PT, PhD, SCS, OCS; Michael T. Reeder, DO; Jason S. Scibek, PhD, ATC
- Surfing, More Than Just Riding A Wave: A Movement System Impairment Syndromes Approach to the Evaluation and Treatment of the Surfing Athlete
Su Wang, PT, DPT, OCS, CSCS, CNC; Adam Babitts, PT, DPT, OCS
- Orthopedic Evaluation and Treatment of the Rock Climbing Athlete
Jared Vagy, PT, DPT, OCS; Jason Hooper, PT, DPT, OCS, SCS