Physical Therapy Management of Concussion
This monograph series provides in-depth coverage for the evaluation and treatment of concussion by a physical therapist. The authors are recognized clinical experts in the field of concussion management. The basic pathophysiology underlying concussion is presented and then coupled with essential and advanced examination techniques. Special emphasis is placed on examination of the cervical and thoracic spine as part of concussion assessment and treatment.
- Describe the signs, symptoms, biomechanics, and pathophysiology of a concussion.
- Cite key risk factors for sustaining a concussion and indicators leading to prolonged recovery following concussion.
- Describe common clinical profiles seen following concussion.
- Discuss the role of biomarkers in the evaluation and management of concussion. Understand negative consequences of poor concussion management.
- Describe important guidelines for return to play following sport-related concussion.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of various concussion prevention strategies.
- Select evidence-based tools and outcome measures for clinical evaluation and treatment of concussion.
- Apply key examination and assessment methods for cervical/thoracic spine, vestibular/oculomotor system, and exertion following concussion.
- Appreciate the role of neurocognitive testing in concussion evaluation and management.
- Identify clinical profiles and treatment strategies for each concussion subtype: cervical, vestibular, ocular, mood, migraine, and cognitive/fatigue.
- Describe important indicators for return to activity following concussion.
- Discuss the role of sleep in concussion management, and employ interventions that can be used to modify sleep dysregulation.
- Appreciate the influence of psychogenic factors in concussion management.
- Describe common pharmacologic and non-pharmacological treatment options for specific symptoms following concussion.
Authors and Topics
- The Basics of Concussion
Anne Mucha, PT, DPT, MS, NCS; Cara Troutman-Enseki, PT, DPT, OCS, SCS
- Physical Therapy Evaluation of Concussion
Anne Mucha, PT, DPT, MS, NCS; Cara Troutman-Enseki, PT, DPT, OCS, SCS; Tim Ryland, PT, EdD(c), MPT, OCS, CBIS
- Advanced Concussion Management
Anne Mucha, PT, DPT, MS, NCS; Cara Troutman-Enseki, PT, DPT, OCS, SCS; Tim Ryland, PT, EdD(c), MPT, OCS, CBISâ