REGISTRANT FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- What is the Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy's Independent Study Course (ISC) series?
The Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy offers a series of Independent Study Courses (ISCs) on contemporary topics designed to strengthen clinical practice. Each course consists of 1, 2, 3, 6, or 12 monographs and an exam. Once published and for 5 years, courses are "active" — meaning they may be taken for continuing education credit.
- Why is it best to log in to the orthopt.org website before placing an order?
If you are an Academy member, you will automatically see the discounted non-member rates and be charged correctly for your purchase.
- What if I forget or need to change my password?
If you have forgotten your password, please click “Password Recovery.” An email will be sent to you. Please click the link in the email and follow the directions to set up your password. If you do not receive the email, please check your spam folder and be sure to designate firstname.lastname@example.org as a trusted sender so that you receive messages from us.
- Should I use a particular browser to access orthopt.org?
We recommend using Chrome or Firefox. Internet Explorer may also be used, but appears to be slow to download PDF files of brochures and course monographs.
- What is the difference between an Available Course and an Archived Course?
Available courses have been released within the last 5 years and offer a final examination and continuing education units, assuming the registrant passes with a 70% or higher on the final examination. Archived courses were released 5 years or longer ago and continuing education units are no longer available for credit. However, the archived courses remain useful for study and are offered at a reduced rate.
- In what formats are these courses available?
Courses are available on this website in PDF format. ISC registrants also may receive a printed copy of a course by selecting the Online Course with Printed Copy purchase option. Course materials are printed when ordered and mailed to registrants who buy them. The printed copy is shipped directly from Sheridan Press via FedEx and will arrive within 7-10 business days. Special packages are also available for residency programs. Program directors are invited to contact the Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy office for details.
- If I order a print copy of a course, how long does it take to receive the course?
You can expect your print copy of the course to arrive in 7-10 business days via FedEx.
- Can the printed course be shipped to a PO Box?
It is best to ship your order to a street address for quicker delivery. If the course is shipped to a PO Box, please expect a longer shipping time (14 business days +) .
- Can I place an order in my name for someone else?
Only the registrant named may earn contact hours.
- Why do I have to fill out a course evaluation before accessing my certificate?
Your feedback is very important to us and allows us to continue to improve our independent study course series. The survey is quick and won’t take a lot of your time. We do ask that you answer every question.
- Can I access the final exam before actually taking it?
We include a PDF Study Aide that can be printed and used as you study. This may not be an exact match to the final exam.
- How long do I have to take the exam?
We ask that you complete your course within a year; however, as long as the course is active (not archived), you may still take the final exam.
- What is the passing score?
The passing score for all ISCs is 70%.
- Can I retake the exam if I fail?
Yes, you may retake the exam one additional time at no fee; however, there is a fee for the second retake exam. Fees are: $25 for 3-monograph courses; $50 for 6-monograph courses; and $75 for Current Concepts or other courses consisting of more than 6 monographs. Please contact email@example.com for information on retaking an exam.
- Why do you only obtain CEU approvals in certain states?
The Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy’s Independent Study Course (ISC) program has continuing education approval from the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), which, in turn, is designated an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). The Academy also independently pursues approval of its ISC courses with Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, California, and Texas. Registrants from other states must apply to their individual State Licensure Boards for approval of continuing education credit based on the number of contact hours accompanying each ISC.
- What happens when courses are no longer active? Five years after their publication dates, ISC courses and their exams expire and are no longer available for credit. However, a selection of complete archived courses remain useful for study. These archived courses are available for purchase through this site at reduced rates.