Small Grant Program
The Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy supports its members by funding studies to systematically examine orthopaedic practice issues. The purpose of this grant program is to address the urgent need for clinical research in orthopaedic physical therapy. There are two types of awards in the grant program, project specific research grants and a post-doctoral fellow career development award.
Grant application deadline
The deadline for submission of grant application materials is November 1, 2021. A pdf version of the application must be e-mailed to Tara Fredrickson at: email@example.com by November 1, 2021 at 12:00 noon CST. The pdf version of the grant application should contain the entire grant application in a single pdf document. Please label the pdf in the following format: PI's last name_Six word abbreviated title_year of submission. Ex: Fredrickson_Diagnosis of patellar tendinopathy_2021.
TARGETED RECIPIENTS OF THE GRANT PROGRAM
The grant program is designed to provide funding to any Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy member who has the clinical resources to examine a well-defined clinical practice issue, but who needs some external funding to facilitate completion of the clinical research project.
GUIDELINES for PROJECT SPECIFIC GRANTS
Eligible studies will address one of the five following areas:
- examine the effectiveness of a treatment approach on a well-defined sample of patients with orthopaedic problems
- examine patient classification procedures for the purposes of determining an appropriate treatment
- further establish the meaningfulness of an examination procedure
- examine the role of the orthopaedic physical therapist in the health care environment
- mechanistic studies that have a clear and direct impact on evaluation and/or treatment techniques used in orthopedic physical therapy practice.
- Purpose: the grant should clearly address one of the five areas described above for eligible studies.
- Principal investigator (PI) must be a member of the Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy, APTA.
- Categories of Small Grant Program Funding
- Two (2) New Investigator Grants at $30,000/each
- One (1) Unrestricted Grant at $40,000
- One (1) Post-doctoral Career Development Award at $50,000
- One (1) Clinical Research Grant (CRN) at $30,000
- Career Development Grant at $50,000 (One award funded every other year for a total of $50,000, with a maximum of $25,000 each year)
- Small Grant Program Application/Cover sheet
- Grant Recipient Reporting Forms
- Previous Grant Recipients