APTA Centennial Scholar Program
What is the purpose of the program?
The APTA Centennial Scholars Program is designed to build a cadre of future association leaders at both the component and national levels. Demonstrating APTA’s investment in the sustainability of the association as it begins its next 100 years, the program will support our collective quest for a diverse and prepared leadership pool.
The 12-month program will run throughout 2021 with a goal of engaging 100 scholars, including the goal of at least one scholar sponsored by each of APTA’s 71 components. The curriculum will cover association leadership and management topics and be delivered through three face-to-face meetings and regularly scheduled virtual learning experiences. Additionally, scholars will work directly with their sponsoring components or stakeholders to design and complete a capstone project that addresses an existing need as determined by the component. Scholars will also benefit from the guidance of Centennial Scholar mentors who will work directly with the scholars in small groups to support the completion of their projects.
What are the benefits of the program to the participants?
Benefits for Scholars
- Expand awareness of issues and challenges facing APTA and the association community
- Increase leadership skills and recognize arenas in which unique contributions may be applied
- Make an immediate positive impact through their capstone projects
- Network with fellow APTA leaders on a personal and professional level
How will a centennial scholar be selected?
The Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy will sponsor a Centennial Scholar to be chosen by an application process. The AOPT has four options from which a prospective Scholar may select as their project. The four options offered are based around the AOPT Strategic Initiatives:
- Value and Payment: Enhance payment for services by demonstrating the value of physical therapy
- Positioning and Public Awareness: Position members as experts in managing movement and functional performance
- Diversity and Inclusion: Increase the diversity of members, leaders and AOPT
- Evidence to Best Practice: Promote development and implementation of evidence for best practice
Who is eligible to be a scholar?
Any APTA member in good standing is eligible to be a scholar. Scholars must commit to attend the three in-person events and the virtual learning experiences; scholar travel and lodging is included in the program fees.
What are the key dates to keep in mind?
- September-December 2020: Scholars begin working with their sponsors to define capstone projects
- January 16, 2021: First meeting of scholars and mentors during Founders’ Day Weekend (New York, NY)
- April 2021 (exact date TBD): Second meeting of scholars and mentors at APTA’s new headquarters (Alexandria, VA)
- September 12, 2021: Third meeting of scholars and mentors during Centennial Gala Weekend (Washington, DC)
How to apply:
The deadline for applying has passed. Thank you!